Sunday, August 23, 2009

Mojitos and more...

My search for good mojitos has led me to learn a bit more about the Mojito History and I found its history as refreshing as the drink. Whether it originated from pirates, slaves, or at La Bodeguita del Medio, today we have a refreshing cocktail that entices even those that are not avid drinkers. Well it also entices those that were avid drinkers too, Ernest Hemingway was a big fan of the drink.
In October 2008 I was on one of my weekend trips to PR and a good friend took me to dinner at Raices in Old San Juan, that's where it all started for me. I looked at the menu and I saw they had a drink called Mojito Enamorao' (Mojito in Love), my first thought was "leave it to my fellow puerto ricans to alter a well known Cuban Drink", I asked the waiter what exactly was a Mojito Enamorao and he explained to me that it had Passion fruit juice in it. It made perfect sense to me, and since I love passion fruit juice, I decided to try it. It was utterly delicious, and from that day on I've been hooked. Upon my return to Miami I decided to drink Mojitos every time I have the chance. Thus far I have found good Mojitos in quite a few places; Mojito's Restaurant at the Dolphin Mall is a good start for newbies, the traditional Mojito is very good and you get to keep the souvenir glass if you wish, since the drink is so big you probably only have one. They have a variety of Mojitos but I prefer the traditional version.
I was pleasantly surprised that Bucca di Beppo a family style Italian Restaurant has a really good Lemon Basil Mojito. Bucca is a nationwide chain the drink appears to be standard in their menu but I can only attest for the bartenders in Davie and Miami Lakes, FL.
Dan Marino's Restaurant at Sunset Place as well as Jake's the Gastropub both in South Miami have pretty good Mojitos, but I have to do further research on that as I have a theory that it depends on the bartender. I will keep you posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers